We chose education as our topic and decided on how to structure the story with the given data.
As a team, we looked into the data, picked a focus, studied various types of diagrams and drew sketches.
I brought different sets of typography, webpage layout and color schemes. As a team, we decided on the visual elements, tested how it looks on the actual webpage and modified the design.
We added interactivity to each one of the sketches.
Adjusted the style and code until the presentation day. Click on the image to visit the website!
One of the key takeaways from this project was that it's important to look into the data and predict how it would look like before stepping into designing and coding. We intended to show the change in educational attainment among different age groups in chart 2, but the change wasn't noticeable enough to grab the attention and confused the readers.
Also, slider in chart 1 would not have been the best way of implementing interactivity for the first graph since the degree levels are not always linear(e.g. "Some college / no diploma", "Bachelor's degree", "Associate's degree"). If we had more time, we could have changed it into range selector instead and evaluated which one was better.